As you know, you can monitor the battery life of AirPods on an iPhone or iPad using the iOS battery widget. There, you can find the battery percentage of your AirPods in the macOS Control Center or in the menu bar if you have a Mac.
However, on non-Apple devices, third-party apps are necessary to check the battery level of your AirPods, and in this tutorial, we will highlight some of these apps that allow you to check the battery level of your AirPods on Android phones and Windows PCs. In addition, we will show you how to install and use them on your devices.
How to Check AirPods Battery on Android Devices
AirBattery is one of the best apps for checking AirPods battery life on Android devices and Chromebooks. Here are the steps to use it:
- First, connect your AirPods to your Android smartphone or tablet and install AirBattery from the Google Play Store.
- Then, you will receive a prompt to allow the app to use your device’s location. There you need to tap Grant Permission on the Location Permission screen and select While using the app in the pop-up window.
- Next, tap Grant permission on the Allow launching from the background screen. Select AirBattery and enable Allow display over other applications. You will then receive another message to exclude the app from your device’s power saving or battery optimization settings. Allowing the app to run in the background without optimization can cause your device’s battery to drain faster.
- Now, tap Open Settings, select AirBattery, select Not optimized and tap Done.
- Return to the AirBattery application, select your AirPods model, and tap OK.
- Finally, place both AirPods in the charging case and keep the case lid open so AirBattery will display the battery status of your AirPods in a pop-up card.
If AirBattery does not show the AirPods’ housing battery, close and reopen the cover and recheck.
How to Check AirPods Battery Life in Windows
Regarding managing your AirPods from Windows, there are three apps that are excellent: AirPodsDesktop, MagicPods, and Bluetooth Battery Monitor. We will now show you step-by-step how to use each of these programs, so pay close attention.
Check AirPods Battery Using AirPodsDesktop
You should know that this software is free, open-source, and easy to set up. Moreover, during the testing, there was no problem using the application when checking the battery level and charging status of Apple AirPods Pro.
To launch this software, do the following:
- First, download the AirPodsDesktop setup file, install the application, and connect your AirPods to your computer.
- Then, hover over the blue AirPodsDesktop icon in the notification area of the taskbar. You should then see your AirPods’ battery or charging status level in the tooltip that appears.
- After, select the AirPodsDesktop icon to get a graphical view of the battery status of your AirPods. Note that AirPodsDesktop only displays the case battery level or charging status when the lid is open.
This interface is compatible with all AirPod models and generations, including AirPods Max.
Check AirPods Battery Using MagicPods
While MagicPods is a paid app, it offers features that justify the $1.99 price tag. It is compatible with the following Apple headphones and earbuds:
- AirPods 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation.
- AirPods Pro
- AirPods Max
- Powerbeats Pro
- Powerbeats 3
- Beats Fit Pro
- Beats Solo 3
- Beats Solo Pro
- Beats X
- Beats Flexible
Purchase the MagicPods app or install the free trial from the Microsoft Store and follow the steps below.
- Start by connecting your AirPods to your PC and hovering over the battery or lightning bolt icon in the taskbar. The battery level of your left and right AirPods will appear in the tooltip.
- Then, double-click the icon in the taskbar to open the MagicPods app and view the battery level of your AirPods on the app’s dashboard. You can also insert one or both AirPods into the charging case to view the battery status of your AirPods.
- To finish, select the down arrow icon to enable features such as ear detection, auto connect, notification announcement, low battery notification, etc.
Use the Bluetooth Battery Monitor App ($7.99)
For the last one, there is the Bluetooth Battery Monitor, which allows you to check the battery level of Bluetooth devices connected to your Windows computer. Unfortunately, the application costs $7.99, but you can use the 7-day free trial to test its features. Plus, you get a $3 discount if you purchase the license before the trial period ends.
Additionally, it is compatible with first and second-generation AirPods and AirPods Pro. So follow the steps below to set up and use the app on your Windows PC.
- Start by downloading the Bluetooth Battery Monitor application from the developer’s website.
- Now, turn on Bluetooth on your computer and run the Bluetooth Battery Monitor setup file. Remember to accept the application license agreement and select Install to continue.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions and select Finish to close the setup assistant.
- Next, the “Initial Bluetooth Battery Monitor Setup” window will automatically appear, giving you the option to select your preferred battery indicator and select OK.
- After, connect your AirPods to your computer and select the Bluetooth Battery Monitor icon in the notification area of the taskbar. Note that if you do not see the app icon in the taskbar, you can select the Show hidden icons arrow.
- Here, you can check the bottom corner of the Bluetooth battery monitor tray to see the current battery level of your AirPods. You can also set a “Low Battery” alert to receive a notification when your AirPods battery reaches a specific percentage.
- Subsequently, select the settings icon in the top corner and select Settings.
- Lastly, check the Low Battery Notification checkbox on and enter the battery alert value in the dialog box.
Keep an Eye on Your AirPods Battery
Overall, among the three apps we recommend to check the battery of your AirPods from Windows, AirPodsDesktop works great just to monitor the battery level, but for two dollars, MagicPods offers excellent value for money, as well as being compatible with all AirPods models and providing some audio features exclusive to Apple devices.