How to make homemade bread and sourdough
So you can enjoy delicious homemade bread whenever you want, we present you an easy and practical recipe. We also present you the step by step so you can make your own sourdough, and make pastries, breads or pizzas.
With these simple recipes you will be able to delight your family and friends, and create diversity of snacks, breakfasts and dinners.
Recipe for making homemade bread
The first thing you should do is prepare the ingredients that you will need. We tell you what they are:
- 4 cups or 500 grams of all-purpose wheat flour.
- 1 ½ cups or 350 milliliters of lukewarm water.
- 6 grams of dehydrated yeast or 15 grams of fresh yeast.
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- 15 grams of sugar.
- 10 grams of salt.
- Pour the water into a container and add the sugar and yeast. Mix for about two minutes until the yeast is completely dissolved. You can use a wooden spoon to mix these ingredients.
- To the previous mixture add the olive oil and five tablespoons of the flour. Mix everything well and when the mixture is homogeneous cover it with a cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. After 20 minutes the dough should be full of bubbles and should be larger.
- Then add the rest of the flour while you mix it. The dough should be thick.
- Add the salt and knead until you get a compact dough.
- Prepare the work surface (smooth and stable surface) by dusting it with a little flour, then place the dough on this surface.
- Knead for two minutes. At this point you can spread your hands with a little olive oil so that the dough does not stick to your fingers.
- Cover with a cloth and let the dough rest on the work surface for thirty minutes.
- Spread a baking sheet with a little oil. Do the same with a mold that you will use to cover the dough while it is in the oven.
- After thirty minutes of dough rest, it is time to bake it.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet and make a couple of shallow cuts. Sprinkle a little flour on the dough to add a rustic touch to your homemade bread.
- Cover the dough with the mold that you already oiled. This will serve to maintain the humidity of the bread and make it grow.
- The oven must be turned off and cold when inserting the dough. Once you have placed the dough in the oven, you can turn it on at 200 degrees and leave to bake for 45 minutes. Make sure the heat is on both up and down.
- Remove your homemade bread from the oven and let it cool before enjoying it.
Recipe for making sourdough
The sourdough is made by combining water and flour and allowing the mixture to ferment. No type of yeast is used. The flavor and aroma of homemade breads that you can make with this dough is unmatched.
The sourdough is grown thanks to the yeasts naturally found in flour cereals, such as rye or wheat. During the preparation, microorganisms are captured from the air so that when combined with the yeast found in the cereals, they generate a culture that prevents the proliferation of unwanted microorganisms in the mealy mass.
To obtain the proper cultivation, food (cereals), humidity and adequate temperature (warm or ambient temperature) are required.
- Wholemeal flour can be wheat or rye.
- Water at room temperature.
- 5 milliliters of lemon juice (optional)
- 6 or 7 raisins or sultanas (optional)
The sourdough manufacturing process takes several days, but each day you should only spend a few minutes.
Mix 100 grams of whole flour and 100 milliliters of water, until they are well integrated. Add the lemon juice and the raisins. Cover the mixture unadjusted and let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
Add 50 grams of whole flour and 50 milliliters of water to the mixture and let it rest for another 24 hours.
This day you should notice more bubbles in the mixture, and a liquid on the surface with a not very pleasant appearance. This is normal.
Remove and discard half of the mixture. Then add 100 grams of whole wheat flour and 100 milliliters of water. Mix well and let stand another 24 hours.
Remove and discard half of the mixture. Add 100 grams of whole wheat flour and 100 milliliters of water, let rest another 24 hours.
At this point the smell of the preparation will have changed. Remove the raisins.
Remove and discard half of the mixture. Add 100 grams of whole wheat flour and 100 milliliters of water. Let stand 24 hours more.
Remove and discard half of the mixture. Add 100 grams of whole wheat flour and 100 milliliters of water. Let stand until everything ferments, the volume of the dough should double. Please note that this could occur within 24 hours.
Note: when the dough has started to rise you can change the flour that is added every day. Instead of using whole wheat flour, you can use white flour. In this way you will get a white sourdough, and you can prepare homemade whole or white bread.
With these practical and easy-to-follow recipes, you can make delicious breads. You can enjoy a breakfast with coffee, cheese and ham. As well as a delicious snacks accompanying the bread with jam. You can also use your homemade bread as a complement to meals, or enjoy a delicious sandwich for dinner.