How to write a successful ebook
February 23, 2022
Do you have an awe-inspiring or captivating narrative you’ve written? Want to share that story via an ebook, but don’t know where to start? In this article, you can find out more about what steps you can take to write a successful ebook.
Writing an ebook from scratch can be quite challenging. Especially as a newcomer to the ebook space, there are so many different questions you may face such as how do you publish an ebook? What do you write about? Where can you sell an ebook? Here are some tips we have found that may help answer your questions on how you can become a successful ebook author:
- What should I write my ebook on? Finding a topic to write about is probably the most important part when it comes to writing a successful ebook. You want to make sure that you are confident in writing about that topic and that you have some interest in it. The more interested you are in that topic, the more it will reflect in your writing. Try to avoid writing on a topic that is saturated or you think will be more profitable as it is usually harder to stand out in these cases.
- How should I organize my ebook? According to sites like thewritelife.com and compose.ly, the best way to format your ebook is to make a general outline of your content and then write one chapter at a time. There is no set number of chapters you should have, but rather organize your content into enough chapters where you can include everything you want to write about. With regards to the aesthetics of the ebook, try to include a cover image or graphic art that is relevant to the topic of your ebook. In addition, make sure to proofread and select the appropriate margins, headings, spacing, font, etc.
- How do I engage with my audience? In some cases, you may want to directly reach out to your audience via an online survey and gauge interest in your ebook prior to its release. Once it has been published, a great way to engage with your audience or grow a following is to be active on your social media, emails, and comment section. This is a great way to receive feedback and suggestions for your next ebook.
- Where should I publish my ebook? Depending on what your desired outcome is, there are several sites that allow you to publish your ebook. Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) by Amazon is a popular e-publishing site that allows you to upload your ebook for free. While they require you to upload your ebook in their specific format, there are several online tools that will allow you to do so at no cost. Apple Books for Authors, as well as Barnes and Noble Press are two other free self-publishing sites that are great for getting a significant amount of exposure for your ebook.
- How do I sell my ebook? Depending on where to choose to publish your ebook, it may be possible to sell or profit from your published ebook. Using third-party publishers like Amazon’s KDP is one popular option, yet note that you may have to pay them a commission to sell your ebook. Sellify is another site that lets you sell your ebooks in a matter of minutes. However, note that it does have several tiers of subscription with different features available at different price points per month.
Most sites where you can publish your ebook (such as Kindle Direct Publishing) have all kinds of tips and steps you can take to make sure your ebook reaches its full potential. There are also lots of other great resources out there that offer advice for ebook writers like thewritelife.com or compose.ly, so make sure you check those out!