Are They Worth It to The Peacock’s New Subscription Plans?
February 24, 2023
If you are not in the United States, you may not know anything about Peacock. Well, you’re on the right blog to find out that and much more.
So why is it called Peacock?
The answer from NBC Universal was that the name Peacock is a “nod to the iconic NBC logo.”
What is Peacock?
Peacock first launched in 2020. And it is a video streaming service that draws from NBC Universal’s wide range of properties. At launch, you could watch 20,000 hours of original programming, as well as dramas, comedies, news, sports, unscripted TV, kids’ content, multiple-language content, and curated channels.
For all the above, Peacock, competes directly with other streaming services from popular U.S. networks, such as Paramount+, HBO Max and Disney+. Here is everything you need to know about it, including how much it costs and from which countries and devices you can access it.
The streaming industry is booming
In the age of startups and entrepreneurship, the streaming industry is booming. And NBC Universal’s streaming brand, Peacock, is the perfect example of a great new company. The streaming service launched in 2020 and in just three years, it has gained a huge fan base across the United States.
This is all due to the platform’s unique factors, including the free subscription plan created to attract more customers at launch. However, the company has decided to scrap this policy and focus on revenue-based plans.
Yes, you read that right. Peacock is over as a free service and now the streaming platform will be looking to make more profit. Which begs the following questions What are the new plans and which one is the best? Also, are they better than other new competitors like Paramount+? Now, without further ado, we will answer all these questions, and let us get started below.
Does Peacock have original programming?
Yes, Peacock offers original programming.
Universal is even developing original animated films and series for Peacock. DreamWorks Animation will also create originals for the service.
To access the Peacock app, the following is required:
- A Peacock TV subscription is required.
- For Cox equipment, a Contour or Contour streaming player subscription and any level of Cox Internet service.
What devices are supported by Peacock?
Peacock is now available for viewing on the following devices:
- Amazon: Peacock is compatible with Fire TV and tablets with Fire OS 5 and above.
- Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD and the Apple TV app. You will be able to sign up for Peacock or upgrade your membership with in-app purchases as well.
- Desktop Browser: Peacocktv.com.
- Google devices: Android phones and tablets and Android TV devices, Chromecast, and Chromecast-integrated devices. If you sign up through Android and Android TV, you had free access to Peacock Premium until October 15, 2022.
- Xbox One consoles: Microsoft’s Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One S and Xbox One X. You can even get it from the Microsoft Store. You will be able to sign up for Peacock or upgrade your membership with in-app purchases on Xbox.
- Sony consoles: PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro consoles.
- Smart TVs: Vizio SmartCast TVs and LG Smart TVs.
- Roku: Peacock is compatible with Roku 2 and later devices, including sound bars.
Peacock’s new subscription plans
The platform now offers two payment plans for customers. And until February 2023, a free plan existed. Here looks at the existing plans below:
Peacock Premium – Costs $4.99 per month
Although this plan has ads, they are much less than the free tier plan. Gives access to all exclusive content available on the platform, including live sports.
Peacock Premium Plus – Costs $9.99 per month
This plan offers exclusive ad-free content, but live sports and news broadcasts still contain ads. It also offers an offline download feature.
Both plans are quite similar, with some interesting changes. So, without a doubt, you should go for the premium plus plan, without hesitation. However, if you do not want to spend too much on entertainment, a $4.99/month plan is always a good option.