15 Best Free Image Optimisation Tools for Image Compression
June 23, 2021
Sometimes you have a lot of photos and you need to email them, share them on your website or just want to store them on your device, if so, we have good news for you, because we are going to mention the 15 Best Free Image Optimisation Tools for Image Compression.
¿What is image compression?
Image compression is the process of reducing image data so that it takes up less space, however, image quality may be affected, so the higher the compression, the lower the quality; but in this way you can efficiently transmit or store all your photos.
Best Free Image Optimisation Tools
Before starting the list, let’s clarify what is lossy (reduces the size of a file without losing quality) and lossless (reduces the size of a file without losing quality).
- CompressNow: is a website for compressing images easily and without the need to install it on your computer. It allows you to set a compression ratio for your images and allows you to upload up to 10 images at a time.
- Compressor.io: this tool is very popular for maintaining image quality when downsizing and best of all, it offers the ability to compress up to 90% of the file. It also gives you the option to choose between lossy or lossless (only PNG and JPG); however, you have to upload photos one at a time and it doesn’t let you size them.
- Convert Image: allows you to convert your JPG photos into BMP, GIF, ICO, PNG formats. It also allows you to reverse, crop or straighten an image.
- EWWW Image Optimizer: is a bit complex to set up, it automatically optimises the photos you upload to WordPress and from your own server, allows you to set a maximum size and keeps the EXIF data (stores metadata of the images).
- GiftOfSpeed: With this tool you can compress PNG images (multiple file uploads are allowed) and JPG images (multiple file uploads are not allowed) separately.
- ImageRecycle: this is a great tool to analyse your website and find out which images you need to optimise, it also has the WordPress plugin and many others, saving you from having to go there every time you compress your images.
- JPG Optimizer: with this one, you can choose the compression rate up to 65%, set a maximum pixel width and upload images one at a time.
- JPGmini: its Lite version is free, where it uses lossy compression and works only on JPG, but it is available for Mac and Windows.
- Kraken.io: you can choose between lossy or lossless and upload more than one file at a time, although it must be less than 1MB in size.
- Online Image Optimizer: is a tool that optimises images of all main formats and only allows you to upload one image at a time with a maximum file size of 2.86 MB.
- Optimizilla: you can upload up to 20 PNG or JPG files at a time, where you can adjust the degree of compression for each image and best of all, you will have a preview of the image. You can also download them individually or as Zip file.
- Resize Photos: you can set the compression level between 1-100 to optimise your images, offers a function to apply image effects such as captions, photo effects, borders, reflections, shadows and rounded corners.
- Tiny PNG: allows you to optimise up to 20 images at a time with a maximum size of 5MB and removes EXIF data; best of all, it has a WordPress plugin.
- Trimage: compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows, optimises JPG and PNG with lossless compression and removes EXIFs.
- WP Smuch: must be installed and works automatically with all the photos you upload to your website, you can resize the images and it uses lossless compression.
As you can see, optimising your images will reduce the loading time of your images and best of all, if you have a website, with image compression you will achieve better online performance and thus improve your customers’ experience with your website.
You already have several options to choose from, so have fun experimenting with these tools.