How does Netflix party work?
August 14, 2020
The streaming giant, Netflix, has become an important part of the lives of millions of people worldwide. It is an entertainment medium with a wide menu of options that includes series, films, documentaries, miniseries and animated productions. There is a program for all tastes, so planning an afternoon at the cinema is not complicated. And to offer us a little more entertainment, the online platform offers us Netflix Party.
With Netflix Party we can share Netflix programming with family and friends, in a synchronized way. In this post we will detail everything you need to know about this new feature of the streaming platform.
What is Netflix Party?
This Netflix application allows you to synchronize the playback of the movie or series of your choice, so that you can watch it simultaneously with other people. Additionally, the new function has a chat so you can comment in real time, your impressions about the production you are enjoying.
It is a way to share with your family or friends, regardless of the distance. It is like going to the cinema to a private and special function.
What do you need to enjoy Netflix Party?
First of all, it is important to clarify that Netflix Party is totally free. You only need to have your standard subscription to the streaming service.
Second, Netflix Party is an extension of the Google Chrome browser, so it is essential that you have this browser installed. You can use it on your PC, Mac, smartphone, tablet or Chromebook.
How to install Netflix Party?
Installing the Netflix Party extension is extremely simple.
- You must open the Netflixparty.com website and click on the “Install Netflix Party” option.
- That will redirect you to the Chrome Store, where you must click on “Add to Chrome”.
- A pop-up window will appear in which you must click on the “Add extension” option.
- Once the installation is finished, a message should appear stating that the Netflix Party extension has been installed successfully.
Start the party with your friends
Once you have installed the Chrome extension for Netflix Party, follow these steps:
- Open the Netflix website in your browser.
- Log in as usual.
- Search and select the movie or series episode you want to see.
- Starts playback of the selected piece.
- You must immediately start the party with your friends, by clicking on the extension icon “NP”. This should be located to the right of the address bar of your browser, with red letters.
- Then click on the “Start Party” option. This will create a link, which you must share with your family or friends.
You can share the link with as many people as you want. And you must bear in mind that in order to join the party, all your guests must have the Netflix Party extension.
In the chat you can configure your user, selecting between the predefined avatars that exist.
Similar alternatives to Netflix Party
Other streaming platforms also have their applications that allow you to watch their programs together. Such is the case with Amazon Prime Video and HBO.
Kast and Scener
These applications have been developed to allow users to view content simultaneously. They use audios and video conferencing, and can be used with various streaming services in addition to Netflix.
It is available for Android or iOS devices. One of its main advantages is that it allows you to chat with the use of voice messages, to share the comments about what you are seeing with your friends.
It is only available for Android devices. It operates on cell phones and has its own library of content. Additionally, each user can configure the dimensions of their screen.
It is considered one of the best applications in this field of streaming. It allows the synchronization of what you are watching through a video call. The app is compatible with YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Vimeo.
It is very popular. This app does not need you to create an account. It just assigns you a nickname and notifies selected people that you want them to join your session.