How to share a Netflix account?
August 17, 2020
Streaming platforms have positioned themselves as one of the best entertainment alternatives. Several companies offer this service, and without a doubt one of the most popular is Netflix. In addition to the wide menu of films, series, documentaries, original films, and animated productions; the online platform offers you the opportunity to share your Netflix account.
When you subscribe to the streaming service you will have the possibility to share your Netflix account with other people. To do this in an organized way, the platform gives you the option of creating up to five user profiles. Each profile may have different characteristics and will have a record or history of what it has seen, among other things.
How to create a user profile on Netflix?
When you enter the platform for the first time, you will immediately see the users option. You can enter there and follow a few simple steps to create the profiles you want, remember that there is a maximum of five.
- Once you enter the profiles screen, you will see the option “Add profile”. You must click on that option to begin.
- Next, you will be asked for a name for the profile, as well as the type of content you want Netflix to show to that user.
- Among the content type options, you have “Adult”, with this alternative you will have access to all the content offered by the platform.
- You also have the option of “Teenager”, which will only present programming appropriate to that age.
- And finally, you have the option of “Infantile”, with which the content is much more limited and appropriate for children under twelve years of age.
Another function that the streaming platform offers you is “Manage profiles”. You will see this option below all the profiles you have created. Once you select it, you can indicate which of the profiles you want to edit.
On the screen, you will see the list of data that you can modify, such as the check box to indicate that it is a child profile, the language, the type of series and movies that you want to allow to see said profile, and the automatic playback options programming. Once you indicate all the data, you must proceed to press the “Save” button.
From this screen, you also have the possibility to “Delete profile”, just by clicking on the corresponding button.
Can I use all the profiles simultaneously?
Although the platform allows you to define up to five profiles without any problem, that does not mean that you can use them simultaneously. This will depend on the package you purchased at the time of signing up with Netflix.
The streaming service offers three different types of subscriptions. These types of packages determine, on the one hand, the quality of the image, and on the other hand, the number of users who can enjoy Netflix at the same time.
So we have that the different Netflix packages are:
- The basic plan: with which you will have an image quality of SD, and you will only be able to watch Netflix programming on a single device (PC, smartphone, tablet, television, etc.).
- Standard plan: allows you to enjoy an HD image when available on the schedule, and view Netflix content on two devices at the same time.
- Premium package: with this package you can enjoy an image in UltraHD when the program allows it. Additionally, you will be able to see the programming of the streaming platform, on four devices at the same time.
The options that allow the use of several devices simultaneously have allowed people to share their accounts. Although subscription and payment must be in the name of a single person, multiple users can enjoy the Netflix menu. In fact, it has become a common practice for people to share their accounts with friends or family who even live in other buildings or cities. This is one of the countless advantages that the Internet offers us and streaming platforms.
Privacy and security of your Netflix account and profiles
As we already mentioned, the Netflix account is unique and is in the name of a single person. Therefore, for the other individuals with whom you share your account to have access to the programming, you must share your username and password with them. This point is very important to highlight since you must think very well with whom to share your account.
On the other hand, profiles do not have a password. So either user can enter the other’s profile. Likewise, they can edit these profiles and have access to the “Manage profiles” section, without any type of restriction.
In other words, if your little ones have a children’s profile, they can easily change their profile to have access to all the programming. And to leave no trace, they can change their profile back to childish, before leaving Netflix.
To be a little more careful with these types of restrictions for the little ones in the house, you can opt for Netflix’s parental control option.
On the other hand, if someone enters your profile, you will be able to see the trace they leave and you will immediately notice if they have made any changes to your preferences or not.
Additional tips for sharing your Netflix account
If you want to share your account with family and friends, you should keep the following in mind:
- Share your account with trusted and responsible people.
- Assign each person a profile and ask them not to intervene with the other existing profiles.
- Try to keep a check on the different profiles periodically.
- In case some of the people no longer want to use your Netflix account, it is recommended to change the password immediately.
- Keep in mind that if at any time someone tries to connect with more than two devices, when they should only do it with one, they can block someone else or even your account.
Sharing your Netflix account is a good strategy if you do it in an orderly manner, and with people you trust.