How to Unlock Your iPhone with Your Voice
February 23, 2023
Cell phones increasingly offer possibilities to perform different activities in amazingly simple ways. This time it is Apple, with its iPhone, as it offers a new feature that its followers can take advantage of when using their mobile device. This time, we are talking about a way to unlock an iPhone with the voice of the smartphone’s owner, although it is not specifically designed for that purpose.
While this may sound handy, it is a trick you should avoid if you want to keep your device secure. Instead, tweak Face ID to improve performance.
That is why, today, we will have the honor of checking out the said hack that has been making a lot of buzz on social media. And so, we will be able to give a verdict on whether it is true and if it is advisable to use it.
Although unlocking your iPhone by voice is not recommended for most users, if you are curious, here is how to unlock your iPhone by speaking to it.
Unlocking your iPhone by voice
You can set up a custom command in the Voice Control settings. To execute the sequence of button presses required to enter the passcode on the iPhone lock screen, and then activate it with a phrase.
- First, go to Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control.
- Then tap “Set up voice control” at the top of the menu.
- Now, tap “Continue” and “Done” after reading the information displayed.
- In the next step, you will need to mark the location of the buttons you will be using on the “Enter Passcode” screen.
- Make sure that Face ID does not automatically unlock your iPhone, by covering the sensor at the top of the screen with something that you can easily wipe off your iPhone screen when you are done.
- And physically mark the location of your passcode sequence on the “Enter Passcode” screen. Since, you will need to remember the sequence yourself, so make a note of the pattern as you are doing so.
- Head back to Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control, tap on “Customize Commands” followed by “Create New Command…” and speak the phrase you want to use.
- Tap on “Action” then choose “Run Custom Gesture” and following the marks you made earlier, tap out the unlock sequence used to enter your passcode.
- Now tap “Save” and then hit the “New Command” button to go back to the previous screen.
- Hit “Save” one more time and that is how your gesture will be saved.
You can now trigger your command on the “Enter Passcode” screen to automatically fill in your passcode.
- If you want to find your new gesture, go under Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > Customize Commands > Custom.
- Now, if you want to get rid of it. Tap on it then tap “Edit” followed by “Delete Command.”
Remember Voice Unlocking Is a Bad Idea. Why?
Because while in theory this trick seems like a clever way to save time, it is not an innovative idea from a security standpoint. Since the passphrase you use can be activated by anyone, enabling this feature provides a potential entry point for anyone to access your device.
No matter how much you choose a complex and hard-to-guess passphrase to try to protect your iPhone, it will not do any good, if you use it in the presence of other people, as it is going to be difficult to keep it secret.