Information technology: what is it and how to learn more about?
Information technology (IT) is a constantly growing field with so many areas to focus on such as management, support, implementation, development or design of information systems based on computers. Also, there are plenty specializations from support to engineering that we can choose as a study area. That is because all business is being reshaped by computer technology innovations in globe. In this article, we will introduce information technology basics and how we can learn more about IT.
What is Information Technology?
Information technology it refers to use of networks and technological devices for data manipulation comprehending both as hardware as software. IT includes all processes related to protection, storage, retrieval, monitoring, processing and transmission of information in digital world through computer systems; most of them used within a business operation context.
Today, because information technology advances companies have systems and data volume that require big maintenance and processing capabilities and hence need a team trained with strong skills on technological support, troubleshooting, network management, data analysis and software administration; being those all study areas of information technology matter.
Information technologies fields
Information technology covers a full spectrum of fields and roles inside them in which we can focus. Let us introduce most important ones:
- Computer and information research science: has major responsibility of technological advance because it covers innovation technology by creation and modeling of new approaches, studying and solving complex computing problems in all industry.
- Computer hardware engineering: includes design, development, test and implementation of computer systems devices and their physical components such as routers, processors, smartphones, memory cards, etc.
- Computer software engineering: involves design, development, test and building of computer systems software pieces and applications.
- Database administration: refers to security, availability, scalability, monitoring and management of databases.
- Computer and information systems management: includes leadership and management capabilities to make decisions over hardware, software and computer professional staff.
- Network systems and data communications analysis: comprehends network systems analysis, design, test and implementation all over every communication system like Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), Internet and so on.
- Computer systems analysis: helps to determine what and how to use computational technological resources effectively and efficiently.
- Network and computer systems administration: covers full day operational security, availability, scalability, monitoring and management of networks and communication systems.
- Computer support: provides help, diagnostic, troubleshooting, maintenance and fixing services for any computer area systems.
How to learn more about information technology?
If we want to begin and exploring what information technology is about, there are so many sites and applications available with online content, videos, training courses, both cost free or paid. In order to start learning first we have to know on what field or area we want to growth. What do we want to learn more about information technology? Which of fields mentioned above suits better for us and to our interests? Because depending on that, even without a bachelor’s degree, we can move forward on information technology world. Most important over technical or “hard” skills in order to prepare us for a good information technology understanding is to have most of this skills:
- Solid critical thinking and logical skills.
- Strong analytical thinking.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Capability to evaluate problems as a whole and beyond the current need.
- Good and effective communication.
- Professional behavior when helping others.
- Low resistance to changes.
- Get real experiences with personal projects.
- Know how to follow and implement a plan.
- Visit IT social media channels or take online college courses classes.
- Focus ability for long period of time.
- At least but not less important, to have high moral values in order to avoid unethical behavior such as copy right breaches, hacker actions, or disrespect for users and their privacy, etc.
Information technology involves both as technical knowledge as engineering skills that is why our potential for succeed in IT will rely most on our personal aptitude and our sense of vocation. Now, that we consider that have most of those capabilities we should to move forward to technical learning.
- Research education and training courses available online, there are so much online education platforms like Udemy.com, Coursera.org, edX.org, etc.
- Look for learning about trending technologies.
- Enter any educational program that let get a certification to demonstrate proficiency with some technologies such as Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert Information, Oracle Certified Associate, Sun Certified Java Programmer, Overview of Cisco Certifications, among others.
Then, if we like IT, and want to profess our whole life to this out of limits career, we can get formal and earn a Bachelor’s Degree in a technology field, gain professional experience and even earning a Master’s Degree.
Just let’s give IT a try!
Now that we know what is IT and how to learn more about, only remains to give IT a try. It is important not just because is the most important always growing and well-paid professional path, but information technology impact is in everything and any industry existing area such as government, health, utility, consulting, software, manufacturing industries, and we can go on. We can give great contributions to humanity through information technology, and even if we have another industry knowledge we can rock and innovate that field! Besides, is a fact that information technology is in our every day and is key to our lives to understanding IT a little more.
We have a long path in front of us, just let’s go for IT!