New Advanced Data Protection option
December 31, 2022
What are the security improvements?
As the company states on its dedicated page, the number of security holes that have been closed is more than considerable. In iOS 16.2 there are security improvements related to the system’s graphics drivers, WebKit, several related to the Kernel, Safari, the Weather app, Photos, and more. Improvements focused on preventing, mainly, arbitrary code can be executed on devices, but also the location of the device can be accessed without permission or bypass privacy protections.
It should be noted, however, that, according to Apple, none of these vulnerabilities have been publicly exploited. And precisely to prevent this from happening, they have been closed in this update which, once installed, will ensure that our data remains ours alone. The same goes for tvOS, watchOS, and even iCloud for Windows, which has reached version 14.1 of the security update. In macOS 13.1, the list is the same, although a fix is added to the WebKit vulnerability that can be used more.
That way, Apple has released iOS 15.7.2 and iPadOS 15.7.2, as well as macOS Monterey 12.6.2 and macOS Big Sur 11.7.2, so that devices that can’t update to the latest version get the same. improvement. security. The updates we can find are ready to install and possibly even download.
For those who are not very knowledgeable about cybersecurity, End-to-End protection of our iPhone backups stored in iCloud means that only you will be able to access the data in those backups. Therefore, Apple does not have the key to decrypt the encryption and therefore cannot access them even on its own servers.
Although this option is praised by many users, the truth is that before activating it you should be aware of the responsibility or consequences to which you are subjecting yourself. The most important of all is that if you lose your recovery key you will NOT be able to access your iCloud backup data. The moment we activate advanced data protection Apple will not be able to help us recover them since the 28-digit recovery key will only be known to us. In other words, if we set Advanced Data Protection, we refuse Apple’s help to recover our data. To do this, we will need to create a Rescue Account, which involves creating a 28-digit password that is the key to access data recovery from our backups stored in the Cloud.
That said, here’s how to set up Apple Account recovery and enable advanced iCloud data backup on iPhone:
How to enable Advanced Data Protection on iPhone.
- Open the Settings application.
- Select your Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Now click on iCloud.
- On the next screen, scroll down until you find and select the option:
- Advanced Data Protection.
- You will see a small window with more information about this feature.
- Click “continue” here.
- You will be taken to a new screen where you will need to enter your Apple ID password.
- After entering the password, you will be sent to the setup wizard.
- Scroll down to the Account Recovery section.
- Here you have to click on: Set Up
- This will take you to another screen where you can start the Account Recovery setup. Here you can set up a recovery contact and/or a 28-digit recovery key.
- After completing the recovery account setup, you will need to return to:
- Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Enhanced Data Protection.
- Here you just need to click on the “Install Enhanced Data Protection” option and follow the instructions to complete the process.
– If we want to use a recovery contact: click on the blue + icon to access the contact list from which to select the desired person but be sure to choose a contact who has an Apple device and someone you can easily contact if they are ever locked out of their account. You will need to send a message to the chosen contact asking them to approve your request.
– If you want to use a recovery key, click on this option, and enter a 28-character password. Save the password so that you can find it when you need it to log in to your account. Finally, you will need to confirm your recovery key to complete the setup.