Best Skills You Should Unlock First in Forspoken
February 16, 2023
Project Athia, aims to be one of the next big successes of Square Enix and is currently known as Forspoken.
The action and fantasy RPG in question was developed for PS5, exclusively for consoles, and for PC, and its work oversaw the company Luminous Productions (Final Fantasy XV).
An agile and fast young woman with special powers.
In Forspoken we will take on the role of Frey Holland, a 21-year-old girl with no direction and rude, but at the same time highly intelligent who has managed to get ahead, despite having had to live a hard childhood in New York. These are some of the aspects that most identify Frey. However, her life takes a 180º turn when she is suddenly teleported by magic to the world of Athia.
And for some unknown reason, she will gain exceptional skills that, over time, will gradually control to become tremendously agile and fast, able to jump and run through any area, to survive the threats and dangers that inhabit these lands, on which Square Enix promises that we will find ourselves facing an action adventure, fantasy and at the same time stormy and intimidating leaving us with great moments of parkour.
Who plays Frey?
Frey will be played by actress Ella Balinska. The reason Square Enix has chosen her is that the team wanted to find someone able to convey in a very convincing way the dynamic character of Frey and as soon as they saw Ella it was clear that she would be the right person for the role.
Forspoken Best Skills
Even, when Frey Holland starts out with a single skill tree, that number soon grows as the main storyline progresses. By the end of the game, Frey will have access to over 100 magic spells. Some are given to you after major story beats, but most need to be either bought using Mana or found through exploration, out in the world of Athia.
But make a difference to know choose, so we are here to provide some advice on which skills you should unlock first in Forspoken.
To avoid spoilers, we will be referring to each skill tree them by their designated color. There’s Frey’s Purple Magic tree, the Red Magic tree, the Blue Magic tree, and the Green Magic tree.
Purple Magic Skill Tree
This skill tree is balanced between close-range, long-range, AoE, and defensive options. Being the first tree, so you will be able to get a feel for the unique styles of magic that will be improved upon later.
These are the spells that you should pay attention to when expanding beyond the base set:
- Burst Shot Lv. 3: Burst Shot, throws an explosive rock that deals high damage in a large AoE, so it is the opposite of Scatter Shot.
- Scatter Shot Lv. 3: Fires a stream of rocks in a straight line, then shoots a high-impact shot after it is charged. It is one of the best long-range attack spells in the game, so we suggest you save up a bit to unlock the best version of it early on.
- Screen: It is great for players who are having trouble adjusting to the dodge mechanics while also trying to attack at the same time. This passive spell surrounds Frey with boulders that protect her from enemy attacks.
- Tendril: This skill uses a vine to hit all enemies in a small radius around Frey, and it heals her for a small percentage of the damage it deals.
Red Magic Skill Tree
It contains useful traversal skills alongside some decent, close-range Attack Magic. You will not be using this tree for offensive purposes outside exploiting enemy weaknesses, but it gives Frey much better movement options outside of combat.
- Arc Slice Lv. 3: The Drag and Drop combo with Arc Slice will do considerable damage to any enemy that gets pulled into range. The third level of Arc Slice sends out a wide shockwave in a circle around Frey, like a much more powerful version of Tendril.
- Drag and Drop: Pulls distant enemies toward Frey, bringing them into melee range in an instant while automatically switching to the red skill set. This move can be used no matter which color skill set you have equipped.
- Soar: It is a parkour skill that allows Frey to jump up the side of a wall twice to reach higher ledges, and it is extremely helpful when you do not want to find a way around an obstacle.
- Rush: This ability gives Frey a burst of speed when she is sprinting if you use well-timed button presses. The speed boost also restores stamina on each press, allowing her to sprint forever without running out of stamina.
Blue Magic Skill Tree
This tree brings a bit more finesse to the gameplay, adding passive buffs and a useful status effect.
- Alb: Covers Frey in icy armor that drastically reduces any damage taken from one unlockable or piercing attack.
- Eagre: It is an AoE support spell that creates a water barrier around Frey to send enemies flying backward.
- Float: It is a parkour-related ability that allows Frey to slow her fall from any height. Your stamina meter will break hard falls for you if it is not empty, but slamming into the ground and losing all your stamina can be dangerous with enemies nearby.
- Up and Away: Launches Frey high into the air and instantly recharges her supply of water projectiles. This is another skill, like Drag and Drop, that can be used at any time and will automatically switch you back to the Blue Magic move set.
Green Magic Skill Tree
Green Magic’s skill tree has a great mix of Attack Magic and Support Magic, other than that it is powerful at medium and long distance, so it is the best skill tree overall.
By using blocking projectiles to attack and mind-blowing support moves to get Frey out of sticky situations.
- Compulsion: Creates three floating mines that will explode in huge AoEs if they touch enemies. The blast radius is so large that groups of enemies huddled close together stand no chance of avoiding the damage.
- Hide and Seek: It is another color swap ability like Drag and Drop or Up and Away. The skill will also automatically switch to Green Magic whenever it is used.
- Pulse Dart Lv. 3: The attack shoots a beam of light that home in on any enemies who were hit by the signature Green Magic darts. The auto-targeting as you do not even have to be looking directly at enemies to deal heavy damage. Also, Pulse Dart is already unlocked from the start.
- Sublimation: Heals Frey by absorbing life force from the surrounding area. Sublimation will heal her slowly over time and is a desirable alternative when you are low on healing items out in the open world.
Each tree will get fully unlocked even faster if you visit points of interest on the map to complete combat challenges, like: Locked Labyrinth dungeons, and Detour side quests.