Delete photos from your iPhone and not from iCloud
January 10, 2023
If you have activated iCloud Photo Library, you will have copies of all your media, such as photos and videos, on all your iOS devices. In fact, it syncs all your activities: if you delete a photo or a set of photos on your iPhone, it also deletes the content on other iOS devices registered with the iCloud account and that’s what makes iCloud a great backup resource. However, as you continue to use your iPhone daily, its capacity will run out and your device will start to degrade, here you will learn how to do that.
Sync photos with iCloud from PC
If you don’t want to use another iCloud account or other cloud storage for your photos, you can sync your iPhone photos with your iCloud from your computer, follow these steps:
- Make sure you have enough space on your iCloud before performing this process.
- Move all photos from your iPhone to the computer.
- Delete the photos on the iPhone that you no longer need.
- On your computer, open iCloud.com and then export all the photos you moved earlier to your iCloud drive.
Delete photos and videos from iCloud on Mac
Now, if you want to delete photos or videos from iCloud from your Mac computer, you need to do the following:
- Open the Photos app.
- Select the photos and videos you want to delete.
- Select Image and then click Delete Photos.
Disable photo sharing
The easiest way to delete photos from your iPhone without affecting your iCloud backup is to temporarily disable or turn off the iCloud Photo Library but the time you choose to restore the feature will depend on your backup and iPhone photos. This means that any photos you’ve deleted will also be removed and any new media you’ve added will be added.
- From iPhone Settings, tap iCloud.
- Turn off iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream.
Adding a new iCloud account
This is another easy way to avoid deleting photos from iCloud every time you turn off your device. You just need to sign into this new account.
How to do it?
- Sync all photos on your iPhone to your existing iCloud account and then sign out.
- Sign up for a new iCloud account and sign into your iPhone
- You can now start deleting photos on your iPhone once you are signed in with the new iCloud account.
This will not affect photos synced from the previous iCloud account.
Cloud storage for your backups
Using different cloud storage will help you manage photos on your phone without taking up more space in your iCloud account. You can save it for other important files in the future and if you don’t know how to use Google Photos as your alternative photo backup you should follow the steps below.
- Download and install the Google Photos application from AppStore. Follow the on-screen download instructions.
- After downloading, open Google Photos and sign in with your Google Account.
- Tap Menu and select Backup & sync.
- Activate the Backup & sync option.
- Your application will ask you to confirm and, once you do, it will start saving your photos. The steps are almost the same as in other backup programs. You just need to download it to your iPhone and follow the backup and sync options.