How to use Android TV
August 5, 2022
Over the years, it is logical that how things work changes. If in the past, setting up your TV was simple as connecting cables, now with the popularization of the smart TVs it is not that easy. You can count on having to sign in to at least one account to adjust your TV, without counting the streaming platforms and more. So, let us look at how to get your Android TV up, and in the same way, you will watch the best the online entertainment world has to offer.
How to set up an Android TV
The first piece of advice that I will give you is that the better way to interact with the TV is with the remote control, even the best Android TV devices had one. This means you need to learn to use the directional buttons to highlight, a button to press, and the center button. The remote-based navigation is a little cumbersome, but once you get the rhythm of it, you will be flying through the user interface.
When you get your Android TV, the first move is to connect it to the basic stuff, for example for me will be an external audio device. Then you can begin setting it up, starting with the internet connection and Google account.
Set up your internet connection on your Android TV device
The first step is setting up your internet connection. This will depend on your situation. If your TV is near your router, it is always better to use an Ethernet cable plugged into the router to make sure your connection is stable as possible. If you will be connecting to Wi-Fi, follow the guide.
- Turn on the TV. On the remote, tap the icon to bring up the settings panel.
- Use the directional button on the remote to navigate down to the “Network & Internet” option, and use the middle button to open it.
- Be sure Wi-Fi is enabled using the toggle at the top of the fly-out, and then wait for the device to search for networks.
- Once the TV has found your Wi-Fi network, use the direction button to move down to your network and the middle button to connect.
- If your network had a password, enter the password using the onscreen keyboard with the remote. Then click the Enter symbol on the screen keyboard to start connecting.
- Your TV displays a text that it is connecting and then confirms it is connected.
How to connect your Google account to Android TV
Now that you are online, the following step that I recommend is to connect your Google account to your TV. Use the home button on the control to get back to the home screen, and then follow these steps:
- Click the settings symbol on the remote control to bring up the settings panel to the right of the display.
- In the settings panel, scroll down and select “Accounts & Sign in“.
- Then in “Accounts & Sign in”, select “Add account“
- Enter your information (email address) using the onscreen keyboard, then press Next.
- In this step, enter your password on the screen. You can show your password with a checkbox. Once you have entered your password, select “Enter” to sign in.
How to install an app on Android TV
Now your Google account is connected to your Android TV, you can install apps to get access to more content. Installing apps on Android TV is much the same as on an Android phone or Tablet.
Make sure you are on the home screen to install an app.
- Open the icon “Apps” on the home screen.
- Search and open the “Play Store“.
- In the Play Store, find it manually or search by typing the app name.
- Select “Install” under the correct one in the search results.
- After waiting, the app will appear in your app section, and you can access it as you would on your other devices.
Android TV tips and tricks
Now that you have your Android TV. I will present you with a few handy tips and tricks to help you to enjoy your smart TV experience
One of the best experiences about a smart TV is that you can connect it to other smart devices in your home. For example smartphones, speakers, a virtual assistant, etc. All these elevate the experience.
With this said, we are going to explain to you how to connect a Bluetooth device:
- Make sure the device is in pairing mode.
- On your TV, go to “Settings” and find the option “Remote and accessories“.
- Then, your TV automatically scans for close devices that you can connect to.
Use your phone as a virtual remote
If you really feel that it is easier to use other things than the remote control, well, I have a solution for you! Use your smartphone for it. Downloading the Google TV app on Android or iOS phones as a remote control is a free, easy workaround that you can try.
How to name your television on Android TV
This tip mostly applies if you have more than one Android TV in the house, and you frequently connect to it wirelessly using your phone or computer. If you want to have a little fun with it, go into settings and rename your Android TV.
- On the home page, select the “Settings” icon that is on the right of the screen.
- Now in the “Settings” pane > choose “Devise Preferences“.
- In the “Devise Preferences“, select “About” to open the device information page.
- Then select “Device name” to display the device name options.
- To change the device name, pick “Change” to display a list of suggested options for your device name.
- You have 2 options, scroll through the list of predetermined names or choose “Enter custom name” and create a new TV name and have a little fun with it.
- Tab your custom name in the text field using the onscreen keyboard, and then press “Enter” on the keyboard to confirm the change.
Now that you have taken the time to set up your Android TV, it’s time to sit back and enjoy it. You can start looking on Netflix for some of the best new movies, Disney, or another streaming platform and then see where the suggestion algorithms take you.