Ask Siri to check Your visual voicemail on iPhone
Siri is Apple’s virtual assistant, and it has become a very helpful tool for thousands of users. One of the most notable advantages of this virtual assistant is that you can request support through voice commands. This allows you to occupy your hands with other tasks, while Siri provides you with the information that you require or perform a task.
The possibilities you have with Siri are really wide. You can from asking her to play your favorite music, to validating if you have a voice message in your visual voicemail.
In this article we will detail the steps you must follow to configure your visual voicemail and to ask Siri to check it.
Voicemail on iPhone
Apple has provided a Phone app that has a visual voicemail, which presents a list of your messages. This function is only available with certain operators, so you must validate if it is active on your iOS device.
From your visual voicemail you can select which message to listen to or delete. You can also delete them all without having to reproduce them. For greater ease, in the icon of the “Voicemail” you will see a balloon indicating the number of messages that you have not heard.
Another function that voicemail integrates is transcription. This feature is in beta, and is only available in certain regions or countries. What transcription does is translate your voice messages into text. But it is limited only to voice messages recorded in English, and it works only on iPhones with iOS 10 or higher. Of course, the transcription of the messages depends on the quality of the audio.
How to set up voicemail on your iPhone
Setting up voicemail on your iPhone is simple. When you press the “Voicemail” icon for the first time, you will be asked for two things: create your mailbox password, and record a personal message. Follow these steps:
- Press the “Voicemail” icon and then press “Now”.
- Proceed to create a password for your voicemail.
- Choose a type of greeting: “Default” or “Custom”. If you select “Custom” you will have the opportunity to record your own greeting.
Ask Siri to check your visual voicemail on iPhone
With the help of Siri you will be able to verify your visual voicemail and play the messages that you have pending to listen to. You just have to indicate the corresponding command, so that your virtual assistant can proceed to check your mailbox.
To consult Siri you can ask something similar to: “Do I have new voice messages?”. If you prefer, you can also say a direct command such as: “Play Joan’s voice messages”.
As you interact with Siri, she can learn about you, your preferences, and your voice commands. So it will be much easier for you to get the answers you want.
If you prefer, you can also check the mailbox on your own. You will have the possibility to reproduce, share or delete messages. Follow these steps:
- Press the “Voicemail” icon and select a message by clicking on it.
- Once the message is selected you can:
- Play the message by pressing the “Play” button.
- Share your message using the “Share” button.
- Delete the voice message using the “Delete” button.
Your messages will remain stored until you delete them, or until your telephone operator deletes them.
If you want to recover a message that you have deleted by mistake, go to “Deleted messages”, select the message and press “Recover”.
Checking your messages if visual voicemail is not available
In case you do not have visual voicemail, you can choose these alternatives:
- If your mobile is an iPhone, press “Voicemail” and follow each of the instructions.
- If you have another phone, you must dial your own cell phone number, press “*” or “#” according to the operator to skip the greeting, and enter your voicemail password.
How to change your voicemail settings
You can also customize your voicemail easily.
- If you want to change the greeting you just have to press “Voicemail” and then the option “Greeting”.
- To change your voicemail password, go to Settings>Phone>Voicemail password. Then proceed to enter the new password. Note: in case you forget your password, you must contact your mobile service operator.
- If you want to change the new voicemail notice, you have to go to Settings>”Sounds and vibrations” or Settings>Sounds.