How to factory reset your iPhone
July 31, 2020
Reset your iPhone completely erases the data on the device and returns it to factory settings. This process of resetting all contents and settings and a fresh start is something that your phone will need in due time. Perhaps your iPhone needs a complete information cleansing because you are selling it or something went wrong and you need to start over. In this case, the factory reset is the best option. Still, if you don’t do this correctly, you could lose all of your data, or in the worst case, lose your phone.
There are some steps you should follow that we’ll outline in order to properly wipe all the data from your iPhone without dying trying. In this article we are going to explain to you what precautions and steps you should take. In a nutshell, this article is going to be about How to Factory Reset your iPhone.
Why do you need to reset your iPhone?
Modern electronic devices can be very complicated. From time to time they can start behaving confusingly. By resetting and wiping a device, you can clear out the problems that cause it to get stuck in a loop.
Obviously, there are other ways to get rid of certain problems, like restarting your iDevice. You should try this before getting your phone data wiped. However, a factory reset can help to solve all sorts of issues you could have with your iPhone, whether it’s crashing, freezing or suffering any kind of perplexing problem.
In case you are selling your iPhone, or simply giving it to a family member or a friend, it’s indispensable to erase any sensitive data stored in it. If you don’t do this, anyone to whom you have passed your phone down could get access to all your social media profiles, your financial information or even your personal photos and videos.
How to Factory-reset your iPhone
To completely return your phone to factory settings, you should take these steps:
Backup your iPhone
To backup all the stored data, there are a few steps to take
- Use iCloud or iTunes to backup your iOS device.
- If you will backup it for iCloud, then: Go to settings, tap on iCloud and then on Backup and make sure that the feature is enabled. If you haven’t backed up before then tap on the Backup Now If not, you can see when the last backup was done, by looking under the Backup Now option.
- For iTunes, firstly, you should plug your device into your PC or iMac using the charging cable. Then, in your iMac or PC, left-click on the iPhone icon in the top left corner of iTunes.
Factory Reset your iPhone
Once you have backed up your iPhone, then you’re ready to reset it. By doing this you will entirely clean all the device information.
How to factory reset your iPhone
- To reset all your iPhone data, firstly you have to go to Settings, tap on General, and then on Reset. Once you have done this, select Erase All Content and Settings.
- If you have backed up on iCloud, iOS will ask if you are willing to update it, as a way you don’t lose unsaved data. Make sure of this, and then tap on Back Up then Erase.
- Tap your passcode (if you have any), then you’ll get a warning message with the option to Erase iPhone. Tap on this option.
- Once you have done the previous step, it’ll ask you to enter your Apple ID password to confirm the action. Consequently, your device will get wiped and go back to the initial set up screen that appeared when you used your device for the very first time.
- Also you can reset your iPhone through iTunes when you plug in your iOS device, you will see “RestoreiPhone” and, by pressing this, you will fully reset your device.
What if you didn’t back up your iPhone before you reset it?
You happened to forget backing up your iOS device. No worries, there are still chances of recovering all your information from a backup that you aren’t unaware that exists.
To find out if you are backing up to iCloud go to Settings. Go to Settings, then iCloud, and finally Storage. After a few seconds, the “Manage Storage“ button will show up, tap on it.
One of the backups should be of your device. Tap on it to see what it is.
You might be thinking that there’s no need to back up some of those apps, and that you’ll be able to download them later from the App Store as you already own them. However, remember that the data include saved data for games and other preferences and settings that you wouldn’t like to use.
How to restore an iPhone
In case you have factory reset your device, but you still want back your old content, you can restore the content from your iPhone like this:
- Start on the phone and enter your details when it asks you to until you reach the page where you’re asked how you want to “Set Up iPhone”.
- Once you have finished the previous step, there are going to show up three options: One: set up as a New iPhone; two: Restore from iCloud Backup or three: Restore from iTunes backup. Select the option you want to go with and you’ll be prompted to type your iCloud account details.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and automatically your iPhone will begin restoring your data.
Whether you want to sell your iPhone, pass it down to someone else or simply you just have to restart your device. We highly recommend you to make sure you have backed up all the important content and all the other phone data as well. It is vital to have a backup in case any of the previously mentioned situations above happen to you. Even if your phone is showing signs of having troubles that you don’t know how to fix, factory reset could be a handful option. However, never forget to follow the previous tips and steps to properly reset your iPhone.