How to See Deleted Messages on Snapchat
December 18, 2022
As you know, Snapchat is an instant messaging application that allows you to share your stories and moments with followers and friends. In addition, what characterizes this social network the most is that the conversations you have on its interface are deleted after 24 hours, after viewing them, or when both parties leave the conversation.
However, there will always be some users who wonder if it is possible to recover Snapchat messages, as they can be a meaningful conversation or a memorable chat with a stranger online. For that reason, we present you with this guide, where we will show you how to find deleted messages on the app and how to recover them. Read on to find out all the details!
Can You Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages?
Of course. At first glance, it seems impossible, but you can still recover your Snapchat messages using effective workarounds. However, first of all, why do conversations get deleted quickly on this social network? Well, Snapchat, like some other messaging apps, uses “ephemeral messaging,” a term that refers to chats and conversations that self-destruct.
These types of messages don’t usually last long, as they are deleted after a short period of time. It can be advantageous, though, as it means you will save more storage space on your device.
Unlike standard messaging apps, you won’t have to go through and delete abandoned conversations. Also, not all conversations are recoverable, especially those that are deleted after a year or more.
How to Recover Snapchat Messages
Recovering Snapchat messages is a much simpler task once they have been deleted recently. Now, for these solutions to work, you may need a computer and a compatible USB cable for your phone, in case it needs to be connected.
Just remember to review each strategy and determine the most effective recovery method for your Snapchat messages.
Method #1: Via Snapchat My Data
One of the most effective ways to recover deleted messages is to request your Snapchat data through the Snapchat My Data platform. This is a feature that you can use to have a copy of all the data associated with your account, including photos, conversations, videos, etc. So to recover Snapchat messages through Snapchat My Data, you can do the following:
- Firstly, open your computer’s browser and visit Snapchat My Data.
- Next, sign in to your Snapchat account and click Log In.
- After that, select My Data on the Manage My Account page and choose Submit Request in the next window.
- Now, the link for your saved Snapchat data will now be sent to the email registered to your account.
- Then, click the link to download your Snapchat data. Usually, it will be kept in a .zip file format.
- Extract the .zip file using your computer’s ZIP extractor software and open it.
- So, you will now see a mydata_… folder. Open it and double-click the index.html file.
- Finally, you can now see all deleted Snapchat messages on your account.
Method #2: Via Your Device’s Cache (Android)
Meanwhile, if you are using Snapchat on an Android device, you can recover your deleted messages through your device’s cache. This strategy is more effective for recently deleted chats, as they are temporarily stored or cached on your phone after deleting them. If you want to recover your messages by implementing this strategy, follow these steps:
- Launch My Files or the default file manager on your phone or tablet.
- Go to Internal Storage > Android and select Data.
- Find the folder com.snapchat.android and open it.
- Rename all files with the .nomedia extension and find the file that contains your Snapchat messages.
If you have problems trying to access your internal storage from your phone, you can also access it on your computer. To do this, you will need a USB connector compatible with your phone. Once you have it, follow the steps below to view your phone’s cache from your PC:
- Turn on your computer and connect your Android device via a USB cable.
- Go to your Device folder and select Android.
- Navigate to Data > com.snapchat.android and open the Cache folder.
- Open the Recover folder and select the Snapchat messages you want to recover.
As mentioned earlier, this method works best for recently deleted Snapchat messages since cache files can be quickly dumped and replaced by new data.
Method #3: Using a Third-party Data Recovery Tool
Since iOS devices do not save “.nomedia” files, you will need to use an external data recovery tool to recover your deleted Snapchat messages. This method can also be your last resort once the above solutions fail to work.
Usually, you will need to install the software tool on your computer and connect your device to be scanned for deleted data. Then, it displays a preview of recoverable data, which may contain your Snapchat messages.
Applications such as Disk Drill, FoneLab, iBeesoft, and some other data recovery tools specialize in these situations. Although it is essential to know that each data recovery tool will require a payment or subscription to access all of its features, So, be sure to do your research first and see which recovery tool is suitable for your device and budget.
Snapchat is an application that, like others, has implemented the strategy of ephemeral messages, so your conversations may be deleted after a fixed period. Although, as you can see, there are still a couple of solutions that you can implement both from your phone and from your PC, So we hope this guide has been helpful and that you manage to recover your deleted messages on this social network.